Thursday, January 29, 2015

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and MOAR Shakespeare

Guys!  Guys, guys, guys!

There have been TWO more reference to Shakespeare in my favorite show, Brooklyn Nine-Nine!  Do you know what this means?!  It either means A. The writers know I watch this show. Or B. Shakespeare permeates our society at a very deep level.

I'm just going to say it's both.

So this is what happened!

FIRST: Gina decided to get Amy drunk because she's never seen six-drink Amy.  She thinks she could be friends with this so-called six-drink Amy and refers to her as her Sasquatch.

Amy: Gina!  You got to see the Sasquatch.  Was it everything you drumpt?
Gina: It was the stuff drumpts are made of.


This is from The Tempest.  It's not word for word, but that's my favorite part.  The phrase "stuff dreams are made of" is a common enough phrase that it's just something people say.  Just something people say FROM SHAKESPEARE!  It gets me very excited.

The line is from a speech by Prospero in the tempest about fairies, pageants and visions.

You do look, my son, in a moved sort,
As if you were dismayed. Be cheerful, sir.
Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air.
And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself—
Yea, all which it inherit—shall dissolve,
And like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Act 4 Scene 1

Prospero subtly references the very theater the original actors were performing in: "the great globe itself," as in the Globe Theater.  It's lovely and falls in line with the idea of "All the world's a stage."  We are made of such illusions.

What are your interpretations of the speech?

And SECOND: A phenomenal rethinking of the merits of having Romeo and Juliet as your romance role models.

 

Jake: We can make this work! We're Romeo and Juliet!
Sophia: It didn't work for Romeo and Juliet.  That play ends in a tragic double suicide.
Jake: That's how it ends?  Why do people like it so much?

Aaahh you speak my language, Jake!  [See my previous post on JUST THIS ISSUE!]

Anywho, it looks like this is what I do with my time now.  Here we are.


P.S. On a completely unrelated note, every since my grad class on Chaucer, I can't help but pronounce "two" the middle English way, if only to myself. (Chaucer's works are often misstated as being Old English - 'tis not so!)  So what would that sound like?  Well, like it's spelled, duh. Hint: it rhymes with grow.

1 comment: